Ch. 4, Losing The Way
"Lack of awareness breeds surprise, and surprise, panic. And panic is the enemy of survival. If nothing else, wars make you appreciate what's important" (102). Le Ly's MAXIM could be used in any situtation, not just in war. This reminds me of when people get pulled over by the police. Panic takes over and you don't know if you should cry or just accept that it's happening. Le Ly does a very good job of just accepting the panic when she gets back to her "home." She quits crying and is ready to face the next step. I feel like this is a quality to be admired because she does this many times and it makes her stronger as a woman. Le Ly appreciates her life. She has been through so much and so many situations that have almost cost her her life. As she has grown into a woman, her life is stianed with memories of wishing for death. Now she can appreciate life because she has been to hell and back. Through all the bad, Le Ly can see the good. Le Ly's life reminds me of a song that can be related even in the title, Where the Green Grass Grows by Tim McGraw. This country song makes me thing of Le Ly's want for a better everything. There's a verse that goes like this, "Well I'm from a map dot. A stop sign on a black top. I caught the first bus I could hop from there. But all this glitter is getting dark. There's concrete growing in the city park. I don't know who my neighbors are and there's bars on the corners and bars on my heart." The song relates to Le Ly not becuase she is from a small village, but because she doesn't know where her real home is. I also think she has bars on her heart from the torture she endured and has embedded in her mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment