"I hold my mother tightly and, for the first time since our reunion-for the first time in sixteen years-she hugs me back. I feel her warm breath on my neck and hear it ragged in my ear, but I can't tell if she's crying. Of course, it doesn't matter. I am young. I have enough tears for us both" (254). Le Ly has been distant from her mother during their whole reunion. At this moment all she has risked to come back and all her family has risked for seeing her are worth it. I like how Le Ly says she has enough tears for her and her mother because it doesn't show her weakness, but her strength. Le Ly's mother has other daughters and sons, but they are sharing a special moment that needed to be shared. Le Ly learned a lot from her mother, most importantly she learned how to survive.
This song reminds me of Le Ly's parents because as the lyrics to this song go:
"So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you doGirls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too"
From the lessons and love from her mother and father Le Ly became the mother she is today. Her parents had the DIDACTIC for Le Ly. Even having her childhood through a war, she has turned into a mother and can now appreciate all the times she has felt love from her own mother. This embrace they share brings back all the pain their people had to suffer through, but is a reminder of how they survived. Who knew so many emotions could be brought on by a hug?
I really like your blog and especially this post! I used this same song as an addition to the blog post for the chapter about Le Ly and her father and their close relationship.I liked what you said at the end, "Who knew so many emotions could be brought on by a hug?"
ReplyDelete